Tuesday 9 October 2012

THIS IS BARBARIC, DISGUSTING!!

The 4 students of UNIPORT who were brutally murdered.
 To say that I am disgusted and sick to my bone marrow at the level of inhumanity displayed by Nigerians on a daily basis is to put it mildly! Can someone please explain to me what exactly is happening in this country? Can anyone, just anyone prove to me that there is a government in place in this country? Is it a crime to be a Nigerian?

I have seen many horrible things in my life and I have heard of so much more - I have seen a man beat his wife to death, I have read of a man who stabbed his wife many times to death, I have heard of a bus driver who was coerced into running over a number of passengers by criminals, I have seen and read of jealous lovers who poured acid on their so-called lovers, I have heard of pastors who brutalised minors in the name of exorcism...I have seen many things...but never have I seen or heard or read of such inhumane act as I did a few days ago. Four good looking, promising, boisterous young men beaten, clubbed and burnt to death at the prime of their lives for allegedly stealing laptops and phones. Yeah, you heard me right, laptops and phones. It is so shameful, what we trade for human life!

What was even more disgusting and horrible is the fact that while their heads were being clubbed over and over again, some people stood by  watching, without anyone attempting to stop the heinous act. All the incidents I have mentioned above happened either at gunpoint or in isolation, with no one to caution the assailant or prevent the occurrence; but for this incident, they were simply heartless!  Now, that is my worry! Does it mean that there was not one person there who could plead on their behalf? Does it mean that life has stopped being sacred? Could it be that they were all enjoying what was going on?  As I watched the video of the killings which by the way was recorded by an even more heartless animal, I cried. You know, the kind of tears which you won't see on the outside because the brain and the heart are too terrified to even process them, that was what happened to me. I quickly recalled a passage in the Bible where a woman accused of adultery was about to be stoned to death and was brought before Jesus; but Jesus looking at the angry mob said to them "let he who is without sin be the first to cast a stone".

These people of Aluu Community in Rivers State not only watched the brutality meted on these young boys but also, enjoyed it! This goes to show the level of evil in the heart of man. I am scared. Scared because I do not know how far and how deep this wickedness has eaten into the hearts of Nigerians. For all I know, my neighbour who lives just beside me may see me dying tomorrow and he won't lift a finger to help. Yes, I am scared. The words of Shakespeare come to my mind: "The people of Aluu community have murdered sleep, they shall sleep no more"

How will this guy expect to sleep peacefully after doing this?
A lot of people have said in different fora that Nigeria is a failed State but I have always disagreed with that. It has been said also that we do not have institutions in this country but I have disagreed with that too. However, with this unfortunate incident, I totally agree with that fact. Where were the Police when all this was going on? Where was the civil defence corps? It must have taken over 2 hours for these murderers to arrest the boys, strip them naked, parade them round the town, beat them to stupor, before eventually smashing their heads and setting them on fire even while they were still alive. Where were the Police? Is it that there is no police station in the whole of that community? Is it that they were not aware of what was going on? Is it that not even a single person had the heart to call the police before things got out of hand? There are more questions than answers. I am disappointed in my country! I am disappointed...again, in the Nigeria Police force. Where were officers of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps who are supposed to be at the grass root and who so brazenly display "defending the defenceless" as their motto? Let it be known that when we say Nigeria is a failed State, we do not refer to the name "Nigeria". If the Institutions in the country have failed, then the nation has failed.

MAY THE SOULS OF THE YOUNG BOYS WHO WERE BRUTALLY MURDERED BY THE PEOPLE OF ALUU REST IN PEACE. AMEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment